Petaling Jaya, June 18, 2013 – BenQ, the internationally renowned provider of digital lifestyle innovations and VA LED monitor expert, has launched the world’s first Flicker-free VA LED monitor that comes with innovative features for added eye comfort, better visual enjoyment and higher productivity.
Mr Chaw Foo Hong (left, Senior Manager of BenQ Service & Marketing ) & Mr Murphy Chan (President of Association of Malaysian Optometrists)
The 27-inch BenQ GW2760HS VA LED monitor (RRP: RM959) features Flicker-free Technology and Senseye® Reading Mode. It promises to be a smarter and healthier option for heavy computer users, a growing number of whom are affected by Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS).
CVS describes a group of eye and vision-related problems that result from prolonged computer use. The symptoms include eye strain and irritation, headaches, blurred and double vision, redness on eyeballs, dry eyes, eye muscle spasms, and neck and shoulder pain.
Speaking on the need for proper eyecare, Association of Malaysian Optometrists (AMO) president Murphy Chan said that it has been estimated that 60 per cent of the worldwide population suffer from one or more of these symptoms at some point during the day. They are increasingly common among the younger generation, including children, due to their constant exposure to a myriad of gadgets that include computers, tablets and smartphones.
According to BenQ Service & Marketing (M) Sdn Bhd senior manager Chaw Foo Hong, Flicker-free monitors were previously available only for professional use due their high prices.
“Now, BenQ has put Flicker-free LED monitors within reach of parents, students and young working adults. In fact, the price is extremely competitive and upgrading your computer monitor for the sake of your health does not come at a great cost,” he said.
Apart from the 27-inch launch model, BenQ Malaysia plans to introduce other smaller screen Flicker-free models ranging from 24-inch down to 18.5-inch in the coming months.
Flicker, or a flashing effect, occurs as the LED backlight controller of a monitor adjusts to the changes in brightness level. A regular monitor backlight can cause fast backlight flickering at 200Hz per second when brightness is reduced from the maximum level.
When this happens, the human eye, sensitive to the slightest signals, strains the ciliary muscle trying to adjust to the nearly invisible flickering on the screen, causing users to experience eyestrain, eye fatigue, headaches or even myopia.
BenQ’s new flicker-free monitors adopt a unique De-flickering Backlight Circuit Controller for a zero-flickering viewing experience and in turn help reduce the eye health concerns raised by a fast-flickering display and prolonged usage of computers.
Other complementary ergo-related features of the new generation of BenQ Flicker-free monitors to be launched in the coming months include:
• Senseye® Reading Mode that recreates the comfortable experience of reading actual books by adjusting the monitor’s color temperature and brightness levels, as well as balancing its contrast ratio and sharpness, to stimulate the look of paperback paper;
• Automatic Eye-Protect Sensor that detects ambient light levels and adjusts the monitor brightness automatically throughout the day for optimized clarity and eye comfort;
• Height Adjustment Stand (on selected models) which allows you to find the best viewing angles for personal work or screen sharing with an extensive range of monitor adjustments – height, tilt, pivot, stroke and swivel;
• Smart Reminder* that gently reminds users to take a break in a predefined time interval. The breaks not only keep users’ eyes comfortable and healthy, but also ensure desirable productivity; and
• Anti-Glare Display that avoids straining your eyes when the monitor faces a light source. With a matte-finished screen, you don’t need to deal with the annoying reflection.
“People experience the ocular and physical discomforts caused by CVS on a daily basis, and BenQ has taken on the mission to help create a better, healthier viewing experience. It is really quite amazing that by spotting a supposedly tiny issue and redesigning the controller to eliminate flickering, we are able to make a big difference. As a brand that brings together innovation, quality and enjoyment through technologies, we are more than thrilled to be the first to introduce a full range of eye-comforting, flicker-free monitors for the masses,” Chaw said.
The first BenQ flicker-free monitor, the GW2760HS, has been available in the Malaysian market since May 2013. For more information, please visit www.BenQ.com.my.
– BenQ Press Release